Oct 12, 2004

Mr. Darcy

One small (unsolicited) advice to my friends of the male kind: don't let the object of your affection read or watch Pride and Prejudice lest you really want to set their expectations high. :) I kid. You really should read or watch it. Very entertaining.

I recently watched the mini-series (thanks to calthaer and ev!). And okay. Since I am female after all, let's get this out of the way: Colin Firth as Darcy - whoah, hello?!?! But don't worry. This post won't be my swooning over the actor or the character or whining about why can't more men be like Darcy. It's being done, but just not here.

The story reminds and encourages me that we, men and women, really should look for and want to be people of character. The thing with Darcy is that I not only want to be with someone like him, I want to be like him. His admirable characteristics didn't stop at making me desire them in a future partner or a friend; I want to have them as well. Maybe that's the key. People of good character inspire. Also, it is encouraging (and good character development) that the Darcy at the end of the story is not the same Darcy at the beginning.

There's more swirling about my brain but suffice it to say for now (before this turns into a P&P book report), I need good reminders like this once in a while.

And Ev, if you're still wondering: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000147/ :)

3 comments:

evil-lyn said...

hmm...methodist missionaries, eh? very interesting...but three kids out of wedlock?! hehe.

evil-lyn said...

oops, just one...ah well...

Anonymous said...

aha, finally got to the masterpiece, eh? next up is the book. it's extremely similar but i must say somehow even better (especially after watching the movie).

time for me to retire i've spent too long on already trying to create a pale imitation of faetryn's blog. not much there yet but it will grow. oh yeah this is calthaer. i am not going to create some user account here