This list is mainly for me - if I don't write these down somewhere I might forget - but I thought you might like.
I'm on the lookout for:
- Damien Rice, he is releasing a new album. YAY!
- Missy Higgins, who opened for Ray LaMontagne. She's another singer songwriter on piano, with a great voice and charisma when on stage. One of those storytellers you can just relate to. Nic Harcourt has been playing a lot of her lately, so you know what that means.
- Brazilian Girls, they need to come to town again because I missed them last time.
- The Arcade Fire, their upcoming show is at the Bowl, though, and I don't like going to the Bowl unless I get box seats. HM, I know. But come on! If you sit all the way back there you are chillin' out, talkin' to friends, second-hand smokin' to something - nothin' wrong with that if that's what I'm goin' for, but not when I really want to see the act.
- So many new CDs I need to get/listen to: Coldplay, Spoon, Phoenix.
Last night I listened to some CDs - for the first time in months, b/c with my very short commute I don't get any CD listening in my car anymore, which was my primary channel (not complaining! short commute! hallelujah!). I put the Decemberists new CD on - such a hard name to say fast - I like it, need to listen to it again, their lyrics tell of such wild stories that demand more attention than most; especially of me, who don't really listen to lyrics all that much. And then Earlimart's Treble and Tremble CD. Wow. I know it was interesting and moving when I heard it the first time. (I saw their show not too long ago w/ Patrick and Susan - they rocked). But, it started to sink in that they are heavily influenced by Elliott Smith and even dedicated the album to him, and then the album made all the more sense. Does that make sense? It's just how my brain works in helping me to deepen my enjoyment of things.
Another recent re-discovery is Ben Harper and a song of his made known to me by John (me in my ignorance: Great song, John, is it yours? No, it's Ben Harper's. Oh.). I've always liked the melody and the sound of his voice; I realize it's a sad song - after all, it's called "Another Lonely Day." I jive with sad songs. Then I looked up the lyrics and was struck. Some songs you like, some you appreciate, and some you sing along to. But still some hit a nerve.
No comments:
Post a Comment