How to stay afloat
Read stuff you've read before. There's comfort in knowing how the story ends. My friend said he felt the same, because starting something new was too... rough. I picked up A Million Little Pieces and by page 10 or so I just couldn't go on. Not because it's bad. But I just couldn't. So I read Malory Towers (by Enid Blyton) - all six installments, Dragon Ball, etc., where everyone triumphs and turns out alright.
And I also sought the wisdom of those who have been through a lot of pain. I fancy them my spiritual advisors: Mr. Lewis, Ms. Lamott, Mr. Nouwen, Mr. Manning, Mr./King David. They know what they're talking about. Somehow their words hold more weight because it actually COST them something to say it.
Listen to good people. I listened to a lot of sermons (via podcast) and they always deliver. And if you've been around these parts lately you know Mars Hill and Mosaic and Redeemer Presbyterian (NYC). Rockharbor is the latest addition to the repertoire.
But man, Ira Glass!!! - real life stories help, so thank you, thank you, thank you.
There was not a lot of music the first week or so - surprisingly - maybe because a lot of my favorite music unfortunately reminds me of him. But then there is David Gray and Ryan Adams who somehow elude that painful category. So this is when I look for something new, untainted, free from association. Thanks, KCRW Podcast! And my friend CL!
Watch Kungfu Panda. There is no secret sauce. Just extreme goodness. And a kick-ass Panda.
Talk & Listen to friends and/or family. They also know a thing or two about hurting; though they may not have all the words, or they fear them. But their tears - their tears over you minister more than their words.
Pray. It's been a time of Prayer101 - which I think I skipped in Year 1 of Faith Walk because I was too lofty and ambitious. And Prayer 101 goes more or less:
"God, I need you. I need you. I need you. Please help me. Please. Help me. Thank you. In Jesus' name. Amen. "
I'm told that's a good place to be. The beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment