Some learning curves curve more than the rest.
I started a new job last week. I know where the bathroom, the copier, my boss' office, the elevator, and the mailroom are. I still have a crappy chair and an empty/boring office. Life is good though. Not complaining. Well, except for the chair part. I really need to figure out how to get a better chair.
I also re-learned something about men. Yep. Indeed-y.
Lesson re-learned #1: some of them are weird. Plainly and simply: they give you the creeps. I don't know if they can help it. I don't know which would be better: if they can help it, then that means they haven't learned how to or refused to. If they can't help it, well, that's just sad. Additionally, some men need to know how to read non-verbal language. Dude, if my hands are folded and my body is not turned towards you then you should politely take your leave.
Lesson re-learned #2: some of them are rude. I guess I've been very fortunate to be around guys who have the basics down when it comes to treating people. So it was like a bucket of cold water dumped on my head when someone decided to cancel w/out an explanation AND over text message. I can almost see that Sex and the City episode of the post-it break-up. Ugh. SO nasty. Be courteous, people. Is that so hard?
And then, finally, most important of all, I learned a lesson in humility. That's always a good one. My friends made a decision that I will always refer to in my counsel - and in my reflection of what to aspire to. It was a difficult decision, because along the way, we all discovered a bit about ourselves and our place in community; and some bits are unpleasant. I was reminded of a lot of things I've been struggling with. Relationships and friendships can be tough. That's why I admire them so much. Their decision reflects their humility and their honor. The two do go hand-in-hand. I'm blessed to have them in my life. It's quite a thing to have people you admire also be your friends. I wish I can be less vague. But I think you all can sense what I mean...
3 comments:
Cancelling over a text message is almost, if not equally, as bad as breaking up on a Post-It note. What's next – is he going to send a bunch of pink carnations as well?
And I agree...guys can just be really creepy and don't understand the crossed-arms and body-turned-away gestures. ::shudder::
what??? cancelling over text message? ewww...who is this boy? he needs to learn some manners!!
sorry dude. gotta sort through the crap to find the corn, i guess... (analogies were never my strong suit.)
Post a Comment