Recent enjoyments:
- Education of Little Tree. I really enjoyed this book I got from Jasper at a book exchange that our small group did during Christmas (Davidjeff's fabulous idea). Little Tree is a Cherokee boy who is orphaned and therefore goes to live with his grandparents in the mountains of Tennessee during the great depression. There's tons going on in the story: a unique time/place and an engaging group of people; it's going to captivate you.
- Millions. Two brothers found a bag full of money that fell out of the sky (literally). One wants to invest and buy; the other wants to give away to the poor. He's also quirky, the latter one, the younger brother: he sees saints. Danny Boyle doesn't make it cheesy though, because if that name sounds familiar it's because he directed Trainspotting and 28 Days Later. This movie is fun and surprisingly deep.
- Born Into Brothels. Where do I begin? There are these kids, children of prostitutes in Calcutta's red light district, and there's this photographer who starts teaching them photography. The young artists begin to have hope in the possibility of education. See it please. You'll come away with a tremendous heartache that has a way of making one look up and around and inward.
- Quinoa. So yummy. A nice, tasty alternative to couscous (not that couscous doesn't deliver - it does!).
- Northern Exposure. I've been watching Season 1-2 episodes - thank you Netflix! Man, TV was different back then.
- Blink. By the masterful Malcolm Gladwell (The Tipping Point). I know, I'm predictable. In this book he laid out the power of first impressions, that is, because typically we don't have control over them. Fascinating.
I'm always looking for good things. So please do share...
1 comment:
I love Northern Exposure! My favorite guy on there is Ed -- I named one of my childhood hamsters after him even. Millions was such a cute movie, too. I thought "aww, I want a child like that!" when I watched it.
Post a Comment