Apr 17, 2006

During Lent

- I thought a lot about it at first. Day 1: Hmm. Can't look. Mustn't look. Day 4: It's only day 4?? Day 7: Man!! Day 10: Let's just get rid of these bookmarks, shall we? Day 13: must. not. blog. Ack. But then after the 3rd week or so, the desire receded. Aw-yeah!! That said, it's good to be back.

- I learned: It's freeing to realize one can go without something that previously dominated one's life. I don't need blogs. I like them a lot. But I don't need them.

- I learned also: We value tradition but we mostly forget the reason the tradition is there in the first place. We're so good at religion, aren't we? We think we have a distaste for it but in actuality we excel at it. We like trying to be good, getting the pat on the back. We like observing certain traditions that makes us feel better about ourselves. We like that we can overcome challenges. We like it so much that sometime along the way we forget the point of it all. Which is sad. I know that I've succeeded at stripping Jesus away from things I do in His name. Perhaps you (unfortunately) understand the heart of what I just wrote,...

- A lot of other fun things happened e.g. More animals! Heaven by Barbara Walters! Tons of movies! Ben Harper! Crepes! Maybe they'll make their way here. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Sandra Vahtel said...

Heaven by Barbara Walters? Huh? Glad you're back.

vanessa said...

Yes, welcome back Cal!

And perhaps you can elaborate for me what you learned about tradition and religion?

Anonymous said...

I found your blog during lent and I was so disapointed to find out that you would not be blogging until now. But, I completely and totally understand how it is a good thing to take a break from it. I have done the same myself at times. Well, I just wanted to stop by to say hi.

Faetryn said...

Sandra: Yeah. I learned a lot from Barbara... :) More to come.

V: I'd be glad to elaborate!

Amy! I found your blog last week via Clarian :) Yay!