Nov 16, 2006

Bothered

In a meeting at work I brought up a new website called Gaywheels which is an automotive research website targeting the gay audience. The site provides all the information from all automotive companies but the companies who are deemed gay-friendly get a multi-color rainbow next to its name; the ones who are not gay-friendly get a grey rainbow. It's a way for the editors of the site to inform their audience about the companies they could be buying from.

Five minutes later I was in a conversation w/ a co-worker who was in the meeting and had known about the site and the site's owners. Can't remember how but she brought up a story she heard on NPR about the "Christian Coalition, or whatever they're called" and investing in funds of companies who are against the homosexual lifestyle. She rolled her eyes - how dare they - it's ridiculous. I opted a PC comeback: whatever, they can do whatever they want it's a free country, anyway.... avoid dwelling in the subject. We talked another 5 minutes about various things work-related and then parted after saying, "Let's do lunch!"

I really did like talking with her but that particular comment and attitude bothers me. I heard that story on NPR. Why does she take issue with Christians who invest money in companies that reflect their values - and not with the gay consumer who chooses Toyota over Nissan because Toyota is a gay-friendly company? The rise of American Apparel as a "sweat-shop free" company, Tom's of Maine as the "environmentally and socially responsible" producer of personal hygiene products, etc. shows the trend of more consumers and producers caring more about more things than just style and price.

I think it's wise to research before spending or investing money; everyone should. I get that people and organizations have agenda and opinions they support. But I don't appreciate the incosistency in this context, as shown by her comment. We vote with our money. Let people spend or invest it as informed individuals. I can't not support that.

3 comments:

djmikec said...

Good point. Agree.

CLEyre said...

Yup. So Gaywheels is okay because they support gay values, but Christian Coalition can't support Christian values. Why then is Christian Coalition interpreted as anti-gay (which is then considered discrimination), but groups like Gaywheels aren't interpreted as anti-heterosexual (which would also be discrimination)? Why do things only seem to go one way?

claw

Faetryn said...

I heard something on the radio today that makes me think of this: the "anti-gay" position is construed as "anti civil rights" - as in unconstitutional, bad, discriminatory, etc. so my co-worker's POV would be acceptable, even noble, ahead of the time, good. I completely understand the logic behind that even though I disagree. On another sort-of related point, "discrimination" is tricky too, ain't it, sometimes it's considered necessary (affirmative action anyone? pick "A" grade restaurants, anyone?)...