In no way do I mean to dismiss a valid deep question on the problem of pain, in which we clamor to God, Why did you let the holocaust, tsunami, war, cancer happen - if you're supposed to be good and just? The fact is this issue will haunt us for ages to come and God can take our questions and anger and disappointment.
Yet it does reflect something of us, you and me, that we don't have a problem with all the pleasures of this world: natural beauty, art, meals, friends, love, etc. We don't have a problem with it at all; we enjoy them thoroughly (and have veered into exploitation). I think we are not meant to have a problem with pleasure, it's just that sometimes I think what we're really declaring is we deserve it. We've paid our dues so darn it give us what is rightfully ours. But really, it can't all be earned, can it?
I can testify to this: Good things come to me even when I don't earn them. That's the place of gratitude - a place I hardly visit, I might add, but once in a while I stay put.
So, God, thank you for being an unfair God.
Thanks Mr. Chesterton for bringing up the point in the first place.
Thanks Mom for showing me how to enjoy food and company.
Thanks Oma and Opa (all four of you) for your expansive love and care.
Thanks Cyn, Sar, Oline, Sindy for a lifetime of letters and laughs.
Thanks Dr. R for thinking me a philosopher - you might be right.
Thanks Mosaic friends for a glimpse of the Kingdom.
Thanks Al Gore for the internet.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows
1 comment:
Right on, Fae! Not to mention are we going to start blaming God for global warming, crime, stray children, bad internet connections, water pollution, lack of peace, lack of sleep ... I mean, the list goes on. Let's remember what He did give us! The best of all being the life of His only son, Jesus Christ! :)
Post a Comment