Hello from springtime Melbourne where it's been a moody couple of weeks, cold one day and warm the next, so naturally I struggle with my wardrobe. One day 2 weeks ago I wore flip flops, and the week after I wore my "cold boots" (as my friend dubs them). It's a bit confusing, but just a bit, because frankly my wardrobe is limited. And the city has taught me to layer - always stuff a cardigan, a scarf, and an umbrella in the backpack.
Today the sun is out, the temperature mild, the scene is set for a good brisk walk around the Yarra (River), but unfortunately I have my massive paper to attack. So I've been writing, writing, and thinking, and writing, and Facebook-ing, i.e. stuck in front of the computer. But the upside: I've been hungry for music (as much as for snackies/munchies). As the last post indicates, there's been quite a few, and I feel like I should disperse more happiness around these parts and the best way I know how is by telling you to listen to:
All Songs Considered - a podcast from the mighty NPR hosted by Bob Boilen, a music geek who is articulate, an excited fan with a wide range interest and great taste. In other words, he's my kind of guy. He makes me happy. He introduces me to Okkervil River, who is now in my watch/listen list. In this latest show he and a writer discussed "1,000 recordings you must hear before you die" - and they geek out. It's marvelous.
Over the Rhine - I know, I know, so predictable of me, but Cynth has been binging on them, and then that NPR live link showed up, and then I thought, I really should just buy Live from Nowhere vol. 2, and now I'm really happy I did. I've always loved "I want you to be my love" so it's great to hear a live take. "Little Did I Know" makes me ache and "Fever" does too in a different way. Their rendition of "Baby it's cold outside" is highly entertaining, and I believe it's the first time I actually paid attention to its lyrics. What a cute song. As a collection I prefer vol. 1 but vol. 2 doesn't disappoint. Can't wait for vol. 3 which has songs from their awesome most recent album.
Ra Ra Riot - also entered my watch/listen list because not only are they eclectic, high-energy, and really cool-sounding, they are from Syracuse, NY! which was my residence once upon a time. They'd be a great live act, I just know it.
Spiritualized - Apparently they've been 'round a while but slipped my radar. I've been playing "Soul on Fire" (off of a podcast) over and over again for the last few months, and haven't gotten sick yet. Not sure why - it's not an original sound, not quirky, his vocal not particularly lovely - but I'm kind of smittened, possibly because the lyrics are so nice. Not great or poetic, but nice, in a I'd-like-to-hear-them-out-of-someone's-lips-someday kind of nice.
No comments:
Post a Comment