Like junk food
Who doesn't like it? Potato chips, nachos with cheese dips, pretzels, choc-covered pretzels, twinkies, choc-chip cookies, and too many more to name. My weakness remains McDonald's fries despite knowledge that it is bad bad bad for you because - gosh - is it even potato anymore?
The thing with junk food is - sometimes you want it, so you do, because you like it - it tastes good, it's easy, etc. But you know you shouldn't have it, and even if you do, you shouldn't eat it regularly. Junk food has little to no nutritional value; it is faux food. They might be fine if you eat it very rarely and your normal diet is good and stable. But prolonged and frequent consumption of junk food will make you seriously sick. Watch Supersize Me if you want some convincing demonstration of this.
Thinking about junk food has helped me frame my ex relationship. He likes (liked) me, but can't and shouldn't be with me in a regular or consistent manner. That's right, folks, because I am like junk food to him. It helps because it explains how he might still think of me fondly, but for his health's sake he doesn't want to date me anymore. It's like me and McDonald's fries: I like them, but I am better off without them.
That's as far as the analogy will take me, because here's where it breaks down: I can only hope that one man's junk is another's treasure.
4 comments:
I understand your analogy, but I have a hard time ever thinking of you as junk food. I know for a fact that you are one man's gourmet meal.
hmm... can i call you tumis kangkung? i was gonna say that i think you're fillet mignon, but people shouldn't have that every day. but tumis kangkung... hmmmmmmm... sehat dan menyenangkan setiap hari.
but kangkung bikin ngantuk! although it is good and has plenty of irons and should be had every day. why not banana? kan you're yellow on the outside but white on the inside. and i think there's no side effect if you have it every day?!
"Like the sweet-apple reddening high on the branch,
High on the highest, the apple-pickers forgot,
No, not forgotten, but one they couldn’t reach…"
--Sappho
You are special and firmly protected high in the tree for the man who will make the effort to climb up and ask to have you. And, um, not McDonald's fries, God bless them.
Post a Comment