On that historic November day, I came to campus late morning expecting AH waiting at the post grad centre as usual. Except not too usual: he was wearing his Obama/Biden T-shirt and he introduced me to his friend who was wearing a Rock the Vote T-shirt. Yeah, I felt a bit left out with my printless long-sleeve. AH and his friend are Americans, and that day, Nov. 5 (for us here down under), their country was holding a big election.
AH and friend coaxed me into joining them at a supposed gathering of Americans in Melbourne. He heard on the radio that a group of Americans were in some place in the CBD. Okay, not a lot of information, I thought, and the CBD is not small. But we started anyway, we walked down Swanston St. to Fed Square - because that's usually where rallys and such are held - and came up empty. AH's friend even started asking random people in the street such as cops (while AH and I cringed in embarrassment). Then AH said, let's go to Queensberry Hotel, because that's where Democrats Abroad usually gathers. So, off we go up the CBD again, on the tram this time. At Queensberry Hotel (which is a pub), AH's friend chatted up a small group of people and found that the gathering is in a pub called Maori Chief Hotel in South Melbourne, which, by the way, is NOT the CBD. Okay. So we started to hail cabs - and again came up empty. At this point I thanked the stars that AH had the wits to store my backpack in his locker. We also had run into a number of people who offered their support to my two companions (their T-shirts gave them away). Thirty minutes later we finally used AH's friend's FlexiCar account (cool system, pay a monthly fee to rent a car) to get us a car. We were determined, plus we were starving.
Maori Chief Hotel hosted a hundred or so Americans and Aussies piled into various sections of the pub, with their eyes peeled on the screens. We watched the numbers come in, and cheers filled the air as states are called, and beers flowed - of course. The excitement was thick. I asked why Arkansas is pronounced the way it does - and Illinois, too - but got no satisfactory response - anyone here care to explain? As I stood there basking in the moment, I was glad I listened to the Americans and bailed on my paper to trudge around town, rally at a pub, and watch CNN. Because that was not just any other day. I haven't had that kind of impromptu fun in a long time.This is how we'll remember, said my companions, because it was an adventure to get here. Indeed, I thought, and not just referring to our Easter egg hunt of a day either.
On that historic November day, we watched in amazement as the US presidency was called for the first African-American. Later on, thanks to our handy wireless internet back at the postgrad centre, we heard him address the world: "This is your victory."
President Elect Obama, the world looks to you with unbelievably high expectation for a man even of your stature and office. On one hand, it is quite remarkable to realize that your message of hope rings true to us across nations. I teared up listening to you. I pumped my fist during your speeches. On the other, I am really afraid that you will fail, and we'll be disappointed, not necessarily for your lack of trying or wisdom, but because our expectations are so high that it is impossible for anyone to meet them.
So I know you haven't even been sworn in yet, but I will let you off the hook for all the false starts and mistakes you will make, because writings like this serve as a great reminder that you will not and cannot be that leader we want you to be. We long for and look for so much more that will not happen in this lifetime or in this earthly realm.
That said, I hope you try to be the best leader yet.
God bless you, sir, on this November day and beyond.
1 comment:
i still get teary eyed and get little bursts of elation, paired with worry for him (unrealistic expectations put on him) and his family (ditto, pretty much). and also their safety.
but whether or not president elect obama does well, i look forward to the days when my friends of african descent do not have to figure in being stopped randomly in their travel time, when people do not cross the street due to their presence, and many other things that they have had to endure that indicate the presence of living, breathing racism. and of course i have the same hope for any other groups of people enduring the same or different set of prejudices.
racism is alive, that we all know, but hopefully, albeit slowly, we're killing it, surely.
Post a Comment