Feb 25, 2009

This Season of Lent

Good stuff on Lent. The Colbert video gets better towards the end.

I like this season leading up to Easter. The posture of Lent is super attractive to me: denial of self exhibited through a giving up of something that is normal and usual for us. Some people give up something or some habit they deem is bad for them, like swearing or smoking or vast amounts of dessert, but I always say it doesn't have to be a bad thing, though it is good to give up something bad. Please do.

Per usual, I'm late in figuring out and praying through what I should give up for Lent. I've given up coffee before; blogging and reading blogs, chocolate, and dessert, to name a few. So, I know I will need to give up something, something that is hard for me to do (Facebook? Laptop usage after a certain hour? Listening to music? All of the above?), I just don't know what yet.

But I know what I want to take up.

In the mornings when I wake up, I've made it my habit to say, to the quiet empty room I'm in, "Morning, God," and doing this has helped me bring my day into perspective.

It occured to me that God might've been saying, "Morning, Fae," back to me this whole time, but I haven't really put any effort to listen. Because usually I ramble on - "So, God, I have to write a lot today, please help me concentrate, and I really need to..." My to-do list. My wants. My needs. And lately I've been thinking, how nice it would be to delay the list, and just hear His voice call my name. Say, Hello, dear. Morning. Yes, I do think your dream was weird, too.

So, as simple as this might seem to you, these Lenten mornings I'm going to listen to God, enjoy His company, and hang out. This means I have to wake up earlier than I do now and get out of bed sooner, too. Pray for me.

Happy Lent-ing.

No comments: