Mar 22, 2005

I'm a grown up

Certain things this week just remind me of the fact that I'm a grownup, not in the oh-crap kind of way, but just in a reassuring nudge kind of way. Here's a few:
- My friend sent me this link: http://users.animanga.com/voltesv/index.html -- 20-some years ago we all were fixated (okay, so "were" can be "are" too) on Voltus V. I doubt many of you would know. I consider it a privilege to have seen the grandaddy, the frontier, the prototype!
But yeah, that was 20-some years ago...
- I have to do my taxes. Gnarly.
- My roommate and I watched The Sound of Music - another fun blast from the past - and I remember doing "the sun has gone to bed and so must I" on the staircase... some of you MUST know what I'm talking about...
- I go on business trips.
- My new roommates are in their early 20's. Yikes.

Oh sigh. At least I don't have real wood furniture (Ikea don't count), or a wedding ring, or suits, or a house of my own, or kids, or pets. Shiver. Not that I mind any of those things (except suits maybe); they're kind of nice. But they definitely mark the point of no return: you are now a grown-up.

Funny how when we were 5, we couldn't wait to be 10. And then, we can't wait to be 16 or 18.

I'm sure being 30 or 40 have their rewards. But I certainly don't anticipate being 30 or 40 the way I wanted to be 16 or 18.

So what now?

I guess I can look forward to having real wood furniture and all that. Yeah. I'll do that.

Happy b-day Sar! Let's volt in!

2 comments:

Yuzu said...

Uh oh. I have a real-wood dining set and a dog. Does that make me a grown-up??? (O_o)

Anonymous said...

this is sarah

thanks for the bday wish.

funny, that we watched voltus when we were about 6-7. where was spongebob?

anyway, tenkuken!