Mar 28, 2005

Surprised

"I'm having the most awesome conversation with you," he said, and then I don't remember what else he said after, probably continued on something about the pretenses of Hollywood and our desire to be different. I don't quite know how we ended up there, at the bar, drinking a lot of water - which usually happens post drinking a few beers - and getting to know each other's dreams.

He surprised me, and perhaps I surprised him. First of all, I thought he was a pompous, aloof artist. He does have a nonchalant air about him that takes everything around him lightly. Plus he has never said a word to me before. Second, I didn't expect that he wants to go to academia, or that for (not after!) high school he decided to leave his hometown to pursue a more challenging education. Who knows what he thought of me - probably that I'm a bore and unfriendly. Or more likely he thought nothing at all.

This is not to say we are friends or will ever be. Most bar talks don't amount to much in my own (limited) experience. But it's just the nicest thing to be surprised and find similarities in two people so different.

Give people - and yourself - a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised. And, as in my case, end up with a mini crush. :) Sigh indeed.

No comments: