Apr 8, 2005

Imagine the angels

Man. I am looking forward to heaven. After two nights of amazing, moving, exciting, beautiful music, I can't help but imagine what music must be like in heaven.

The U2 show made me believe that it is possible to fall in love over and over again with the same person. That is a huge feat. There I was, in love again with the same band that gripped me so many years ago. I love U2 for many reasons that also go beyond the rock n roll realm. In debriefing the show with James (who is hopefully now a convert) I can sum it up in one word: JOY. Many musicians out there know pain. Angst. Happiness/ Heartbreak. Eros. Fear. Bitterness. But joy is elusive. It's trickier. It implies pain and angst and suffering and dying and all of that - but finding eternity and hope despite and inside them all.

Okay. Highlights from the show:

- The inside of the circle*. Yes. I'm a lucky dog. I went up to get my ticket scanned. The lady says: You get to go inside the circle. Do you have a guest with you? Yes. Um. He's over there. Wait, repeat that? what?? Yes, the circle. You are the last two to get into the circle. I was this close to Bono, Larry, Adam, and the Edge at some point. I swear I had eye contact with Bono and Adam. I was right next to the girl that got picked up by Bono during Mysterious Ways.... it coulda been me! For all I know he coulda been pointing at me!! Waaaa!! And I was next to Mark Ruffalo. He's cute. And nice. Well, I donno for sure, but he looks nice. Hehe.

- Worshipping the Lord. Only at a U2 concert do I get away with singing Hallelujah and calling out to Yahweh and reciting Psalm 40. And jumping up and down with my eyes closed and my hands raised and praying for the city. Hmm. A lot like at church. Although the jumping up and down part - not so much. I wish I could be as unrestrained at church though.

- Cellphones. The new lighters. Bono even said, "Light up with your cell phones." Calling Tim on the first song City of Blinding Lights and Schroeder on the last (40). I'm happy to share.

*To the uninitiated: The circle is the area encased by the ramp that is in the shape of a... you guessed it. Although, I think it's more like an elipse.

And Ray Lamontagne makes me believe that the simple sound of a guy and his guitar can envelop you in such intimacy and beauty. And then you go to his show and dang, he can rock out too.

Highlights from that show:
- The upright bass. You know it's gonna be great when an upright bass is on stage. And the guy - can't remember his name - gets so into it that you want to have whatever he's having.

- The string quintet. Dude. Talk about amplifying emotions.

- The blonde Canadian lady. She was having a great time, obviously, b/c even during the quiet songs she was forcing the beats. Boppin', noddin', screamin'... and if you know Ray's music, you would be amazed that this scene can take place. There it was.
Her boyfriend: "You're drunk"
She: "NO I"M NOT DRUNK. I'M GROOVIN'. I'M JUST GROOVIN"
She has to be drunk. I mean. Come on.
She: "IN CANADA WE GROOVE!"
Maybe you had to be there. And my story is more compelling with my poor impersonation of her.

Ah. Heaven. God and His Son, strings, upright bass, Bono + crew, and me and my brothers/sisters, drunk with love, groovin' to the angels praising. How much fun would that be?

2 comments:

evil-lyn said...

so jealous...

;p

Cynth said...

You must have felt really special when the lady put you in with the other chosen ones inside 'the circle'. Sigh. Quadruple the amount of jealousy evelyn said - that's how much I'm feeling. Even if I know that's not very good of me.

SEBEEEEEL!!! :)

:P