Apr 18, 2005

The weekend

I had a very LA weekend - complete with its glories and follies.

- We saw the LA Phil play on a Casual Friday at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Oh my goodness. What a beautiful place. The sound is so crisp and intimate, I can't believe it. The main hall itself is smaller than I thought. We saw behind the orchestra on the 2nd row so I can still see the percussionist's sheet music. That was fun. The low-light:
P: "What do you think of the carpet?"
me: (trying to be honest but not wanting to hurt P's feelings just in case he likes the ugly red/orange patterns) "Shrug. Not crazy about it. "
P: (Satisfied grin) "Yeah. It's my least favorite part of the building. "
It seriously was.

- My roommate and I attempted a 3rd St. Promenade adventure. It took us 35 min. to get there (!) and we spent 15 min. in the parking structure (!!) with NO luck (!!!). Smack me next time I suggest or agree to this kind of torture again. (Remind me: I love LA. I love LA. I love LA).

- Finally we made it into the movie theater (far away from the Promenade. Grr..) to watch Fever Pitch. Very well-done, cute movie. Very cute Jimmy Fallon - it's a good part for him. As "cute" as it was, I don't know that I'd call it a chick-flick, guys... It's funny. It caters to both the guy and the girl on the date. A homerun.

- Went to the bar with some friends. Appropriately it was a Boston bar - Red Sox/Patriots/Celtics stuff everywhere. Then we went back to their place to fire up the hookah. Mango-flavored. Hmm. That was my first time. But more fun than that it was just about sitting in a circle, on their backyard, wrapped in a blanket, passing the hookah around and talking about a bunch of random things, getting to know one another better. And to think that I was going to spend that night doing laundry and dishes! Thank you for saving me.

- Sunday after church, we had a short meeting during lunch. Afterwards, I quickly canned the idea of shopping and decided to just lay out on my front yard (yes, I have a front yard!) in the sun. I read for a bit until, naturally, I fell into a nap.

- Sunday evenings my roommies and I have established a tradition to grab In N Out burgers and watch a movie. This time we watched Sneakers. Smart, funny, charming, brilliantly written (not without holes but still brilliant) and well-cast. But this is not movie review time. Suffice it to say, it's one of my favorite action/comedy films.

No comments: