Jul 6, 2005

Adventures in Philly pt. 1

Soulmate vs. Sugardaddy

I was probably rambling about my future plans (traveling, graduate school, building Aeropagus island, etc.) and then Sarah said, “I think you should change your search for a soulmate to a sugar daddy. You need $ for all those things!”

Well said, Sar, well said. But, why can’t my soulmate be a very wealthy person? I'm starting to wish he better be!!

In the airplane back

The flight wasn’t full, to my surprise. Priya had the window seat and I took the middle seat, leaving the aisle seat empty. About 2 hours into the flight a guy out of nowhere peered over and asked, “Would you guys like a drink?” – not the flight attendant, just another passenger. Yes. I believe we were in an airplane, not at a bar. Nonetheless, he brought us back our soda and water and sat next to me. It’s probably Priya, because these things never happen to me when I’m by myself.

About an hour into the conversation I decided to say what’s been bothering me:
“You know, you look really familiar. My agency created this video/commercial for such and such company and you look like the guy in it.”
“Yeah. That’s me.”
Small world!


Luckily they (the guy had a friend) were entertaining companions – had they not been there talking about everything for 4 hours, it would’ve been a very long 4 hours. And when I say everything, I mean everything. Drugs, Kurt Vonnegut and being beyond time (I was reading Slaughterhouse Five), Jesus, entomology or etymology? Wait, so what’s the study of bugs? a new TV reality series idea; you name it. We even got to see some family pictures.

The other entertainment was our very strict flight attendants. Twice they reprimanded some people for “standing in the galley” in front of the lavatory. They were quite ticked! Please, don’t loiter in the galley, they said. In all my years of flying I’ve never heard that before.

And oh, Coke with Jack on the side was the other dude’s way of ordering his drink. Our flight attendant was slightly annoyed but I wonder if he wasn’t also slightly amused because he repeated the order as he brought it over.

Tonight we have forever

Sar called the restaurant for dinner reservations, and after giving the man her name and phone number she asked:
“There’s 6 of us, so what time would be good, 7? 7.30?”
“Tonight?”
“Yes, tonight.”
“Oh, tonight we have forever!”

It struck us as such a wonderful thing to hear.

No comments: