The thing about going to U2 shows is it ruins your experience of listening to their CDs. They are so good live. I'm addicted to that sound. I'm so screwed. Suppose I can just turn it up real loud and close my eyes, imagine that they are just 30 feet away...
Yes, I'm very lucky to attend another U2 show. Or should I say, last night it was the Larry Mullen Band. You U2 fans instantly understand why. The show had so much energy, so much celebration... it was Larry's birthday.
Can you believe, they're 40-something now? and they've been together for 20-something years.
Some fun things from last night:
- I managed to bump into old co-workers prior to the show AND some friends after.
- Knowing that U2 was coming on stage the second I recognized The Arcade Fire playing over the PA system. This is my 2nd Vertigo Tour show after all...
- Calling James during Streets and calling my office phone so I can hear U2 again in the morning from my voicemail. Sigh, I know, I'm so hopeless.
- Seeing the lighting and stage design - I didn't get to last time since I was so close to the stage (see blog entry in April). It's really amazing - simple and elegant in its execution, and so appropriate for everything. The backdrop of the stage is a wall of lights. How cool is that? The ramp (that makes the elipse) is also lined with lights.
- Singing and screaming the songs with my co-workers; one boss in each side of me. U2 brings people together.
- Not having to drive to the venue.
- Jordan Cabernet 2001. Yumm...
- It's hard to say which song/performance is a favorite, so I won't.
- Funny unique U2 moments like Larry actually addressing the audience, thanking us for coming to his birthday party.
Anytime, Larry. Really.
2 comments:
Haha!
You and Larry are that close where you can call him on a first-name basis. Rad.
Thanks for vicariously sharing your experience on my answering machine. I dug it though there was a ton of crackling, rumbling, and cool crowd noise.
How Larry manages to look hot after all these decades is a mystery that shall never be explained.
Post a Comment