Dec 7, 2005

Things that make my world go round

A bit of what I've been up to:

- Read “Through Painted Deserts” by Donald Miller. Yes, I’m a bit obsessed. Yes, it’s good. Entertaining. I laughed out loud on a few spots. Reading about two guys on a road-trip in a dying VW van is guaranteed fun. Yes, I still like Blue Like Jazz better.

- Reading “Telling the Truth: the Gospel as Tragedy, Comedy, and Fairy Tale” by Frederick Buechner. I’ve heard about this guy for so long I decided to just pick it up. And man, can he write.

"So if preachers and lecturers are to say anything that really matters to anyone including themselves, they must say it not just to the public part of us that considers interesting thoughts about the Gospel and how to preach it, but to the private, inner part too, to the part of us all where our dreams come from, both our good dreams and bad dreams, the inner part where thoughts mean less than images, elucidation less than evocation, where our concern is less with how the Gospel is to be preached than with what the Gospel is and what it is to us. They must address themselves to the fullness of who we are and to the emptiness too, the emptiness where grace and peace belong but mostly are not, because terrible as well as wonderful things have happened to us all. "

Sigh. And that’s just the beginning…

- Listening to Sufjan Stevens’ Michigan album. It’s pretty.

- Watching The West Wing Season 3 on DVDs – thanks to Alex! I love this show. Aaron Sorkin, hear our plea, come back!

- I did watch HP#4! Good installment in the series. Very entertaining and fun – the teenage drama is so fun to watch!
Hermione: “Well, we didn't talk much. He (Krum) is more of the physical type…”
Harry: “Mm hmm?” (Smirks)
Hermione (catching on, embarassed giggle): “I mean, he’s not very loquacious…”
So cute.

- And then I watched Harry Potter #3 again. Man, great movie. The book and the movie are still my favorites.
Hermione, with Harry after turning back in time to save lives: “Professor, we did it!”
Dumbledore: (pretending to not know) “Did what? Bye now!”
Me: Alfonso Cuaron – come back!!

- Thanks to the tip from Julie, Katie and I listened to Rob Bell’s sermon on 11/13 – about to listen to 11/20 – as a continuation our conversation about what we’re going to do about social injustice, the world, giving, serving, and so on. I told her to go to law school and then work for IJM. And then, she buys baking soda and washes her face with it. Okay, not as a result of our conversation, but really, she did.

1 comment:

Yuzu said...

After watching POA multiple times, I've come to semi-appreciate Alfonso Cuarón's vision. That book is my favorite, so I'm more critical of the movie because of it. But Harry has the best hair in the third movie, so it's probably still my favorite. j/k (Although...he did have a lot of 'butt shots' in GOF. ♥ Hmm. Too close to call.)

Mike Newell rocks. He rocks HARD. I loved all the funny teenage stuff in GOF. So cutesy. :) That movie makes me so fangirly.

PS – 50,000 points from GOF Dumbledore. He's too mean and scary.