of news... or semi-news.
- Apparently, I'm somewhat of a rockist, which "... means idolizing the authentic old legend (or underground hero) while mocking the latest pop star; lionizing punk while barely tolerating disco; loving the live show and hating the music video; extolling the growling performer while hating the lip-syncher." Ha! Though I side with the writer in conclusion that being stuck in the past a la "When I was your age, children, music used to be sublime..." is not going to work if we truly love music. What a great read. Thanks, chadl2 (who is more of a rockist than I am - at least I listen to Motown - and struggles a good deal with music prejudice like I do. Good man!)
- Saw Over The Rhine for the second time in my life, this time, real upclose as I got to inch up closer to the stage during the opening band's encore. Can I just say (though, read rockist claim above, so take this with a grain of salt): Karin Berquist as a vocalist absolutely trumps all her contemporaries? absolutely. trumps. by lightyears. The woman channels all the jazz greats and brings her own take of rock and soul. And she delivers. Okay, nuf said on Karin. What I love most about OTR is their soul! Drunkard's Prayer (album), for instance, is about their struggle as a married couple staying together. You don't hear stories like that often, now, do you?
- Watched Thank You for Smoking not too long ago. Entertaining, cheeky, very smart. Aaron Eckhart was pretty brilliant. See it.
- Reading The Question of God: Lewis vs. Freud. (Thanks to my cool roommate!) I never would've put those two together and compare their writings. Yet so far the author has convinced me that had the two brilliant minds ever met and debated, we would have a great, enlightening, and entertaining show about God, happiness, sex, etc. The book intends to attempt such a show by contrasting their views. Here's the cool thing: the author had enough insight to not only evaluate their writings (letters, published books, etc.) but also interview (well, from their biographies) the people who knew them... reconciling their words and their actions/behavior/attitude!
- Listening to Guggenheim Grotto and Stars - non-stop!
- Looking for a new love, a different sort of wave of energy,... or maybe I just need a massage...
1 comment:
A new love? Was there an old one?
Post a Comment