Jun 20, 2006

Fever!

Marvel at this awesome goal by the Bergkamp. And then listen to this commentator losing it. Haha. Aaah... football...

I grew up in a land where kids play pickup football in the rain; I was once one of them. At home people lose sleep over it. They wake up in the middle of the night just to see some men kick a ball around. They schedule their social activities around what matches are on and on what time. The mayor of my city pleaded for workers to perform at their jobs regardless of how many games are being aired the night before.

Some say football is the great equalizer. Countries as small as Trinidad & Tobago get to play on the world's biggest stage among the giants. The best and most loved team in the world is from South America, not North America. And did you catch that? "The best" and "most loved" is one and the same? We will always root for the underdog but when you watch Brazil play you can't help but love the way they play.

The WC is the most international and most significant sports event. But economic and political connotations aside, it's the most beloved game in the world. The game is loved because it simply is. It's the simplest game. A ball and a goal. Yet it takes MAD skills to triumph on the pitch. If you still don't get it after that, well, what's wrong with you?!?

Kidding. kidding.


I don't follow football so you can't count me as a fan. I can't even play anymore! Yet I find myself reading football, watching football, thinking football. Yep. I caught the fever.

ps: I heard that soccer fans in the US are seen as "elitist" - which is funny because when you think about it, the sport is played by and watched by billions of people...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect they're seen as elitist because they understand something someone else does not. Most of the time when someone does not like a sport, it is because they have not taken the time to understand it.

Soccer is just not that popular in the US, outside of one month every 4 years. I admit, I don't understand a good deal of it, and it makes it less interesting than say baseball. I used to hate baseball, and now I love it. Because someone explained a good deal of the intricacies.

Cynth said...

I can't say I'm a fan, and normally I only watch the games when there are other people with me watching it. The last couple of nights, I found myself watching the game alone. Random matches. I don't root for a particular country, I go for exciting matches; a performance of skill, tactics, speed, endurance and oh, the good looking players! Of course!!