The word carries a lot with it. It was in the frontpage of newspapers every day I was in Indonesia. To me it means more than relief efforts after a major earthquake. It conveys hardship. Stress. Pain. Politics, even. But you can read all about that on your own. My learning was actually from a sermon I just heard - a sermon from a long time ago - that I happened to pick randomly from my library of mp3s. Tim Keller spoke on Luke 13 where Jesus addressed sin by saying, essentially, you're not better just because no disaster has befallen you and vice versa you're not worse just because disaster has. You, me, people in New Orleans, Yogyakarta, Bangladesh, Pakistan, wherever - we're all the same, we need to repent. Take that, Pat Robertson!
Sometime else: "highlights from the trip" and "the subtle (and not so subtle) differences." For now, getting my jet-lagged self home.
No comments:
Post a Comment