Dear P,
When I think of you I think of the first birthday I spent in LA, where you and KL served me a raw potato with a single candle on top. There was also the sushi making party at Venice. And the time you guys chipped in for the beach cruiser. And of course, the dinner party at WWood house, in which we happily "swish" plates of desserts between the dozen of us sitting in a circle. That was fun. There were many more birthdays (underline many) - and for each one you had been an integral part of making it a fun celebration - and I'm so grateful.
When I think of you I think of the trip we took to Santa Barbara for Memorial Day Weekend in 2000. I was so young - and I guess so were we all. I was not as aware then as I am now, that because you (and others in the crew) took me in, I escaped a fruitless, lonely existence in this scary big city. There were a lot more trips since (Bay Area/Oakland, San Francisco, Mammoth, New York, etc.) - and I'm so grateful.
When I think of you I think of gathering people and enjoying them. I think of countless times you've invited me and/or my household over for a meal. There was also the awe-inspiring new year's eve party we threw downtown with M - because we believe in a good time. There were a lot of parties and gatherings with you - and I'm so grateful.
You taught me to enjoy LA's outdoors. To love people by serving them. To partner with them to bless more people. To extend friendship. To appreciate buildings, design, places; plays, concerts, exhibits. To soak what the city has to offer - and give back to it.
You didn't teach me to love food - my mom did that - but you are the best reminder that loving food is a really really wonderful thing. (By the way, she's excited for you to visit. Ex-ci-ted). Food, you say, is the ingredient to pull people together. I agree.
I'm sure HK will be all urban and wild. New people, new job, new city! I'm not here to knock on it. But take it from me - it won't be easy. You'll get irritated. Frustrated. Sad. Lonely. Lost. Tired. You'll wonder where the beach went.
So be patient with yourself. It's okay. Your new city, it's not as familiar. It's okay. Your new friends, they don't know you as well as we do; you don't know them as well as you know us. And it's okay.
You asked about who is your people. I humbly submit: we are. I know you're my kind of people. :)
Cheers, old friend. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment