Sep 19, 2008

"Learning to love you more"

My friend Sandra clues me in on all sorts of cool things on the web and around the 'hood (well, her hood, 'cos she ain't in mine, and I ain't in hers, anymore. Sad).

And this is one of them.
Participants accept an assignment, complete it by following the simple but specific instructions, send in the required report (photograph, text, video, etc), and see their work posted on-line. Like a recipe, meditation practice, or familiar song, the prescriptive nature of these assignments is intended to guide people towards their own experience.
The assignments are really fun and interesting. There's a few that I can immediately do ("document my bald spot") and stuff I would definitely like to do ("take a picture of strangers holding hands", "record the sound that is keeping you awake", and "make an audio recording of a choir") -- and then stuff I want to do but am afraid to. I suppose that is the point, to embark on something that stretches you a bit. The result, perhaps, could lead one to know (and love) oneself more. I sure hope.

But I also think the point is to do it with your household, you family, however you define it, like the people you live with, or go to small group with, or someone you're dating, or even old friends. It's no fun if you can't share it with people, because there's always more to learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooo... this is nice... i love it!