Feb 11, 2005

Confession

I really want to watch Pooh's Heffalump movie. It looks adorable.
Anyone?!?
Yeah. I have many weaknesses and this is just one of them.

I've been reading Walking on Water by Madeleine L'Engle. If any of you are artists or admirers of, like me, I highly recommend it. L'Engle writes truthfully and beautifully about the process of integrating, if you even call it that, faith and art. I find myself going, "Amen, sista!" throughout the read. It's great. It's like finding a new friend.

Another one I picked up again, more as a devotion, is The Return of the Prodigal Son - Henri Nouwen's meditation on the painting by Rembrandt. It's beautiful, poignant, true, challenging. Nouwen remains one of those writers and people who can make me cry. Nuf said. Read it.

I read a few chapters of Neuromancer - William Gibson. I might try again later but for now I'm giving up. Just can't get to caring about any of the characters or the plot. The premise is so foreign. It's fascinating to think it was written back in '84.

Other than reading and trying to read, I've been contemplating some change. Exciting, challenging, but scary. More on this later.

My co-worker just told us of "botox party" - is that bizarre or what?

Wow I really have nothing worthy of blogging.

3 comments:

Cynth said...

The thing about Neuromancer is you have to construct its world inside your head before you can get into it. It's not easy to get into, but I found myself hooked after a while. Simply because the life lived by Case, Molly and the others are somewhat represent the gloomy projection of our life in the future. To me, it acts as a reminder to make life more meaningful so that we have less people like Case in 50 years time.

We put it into a play too, back in my Union Arts days and it helped me understanding it more.

I'm officially a fan now.

Anonymous said...

Calthaer: Neuromancer is not one of those novels about character or plot development. None of his books really are (with the possible exception of Pattern Recognition) in the traditional Joseph-Campbell sense of character development. It's neophytic Gibson, too...his later stuff (especially his Virtual Light / Idoru / All Tomorrow's Parties "trilogy") is much better.

It's about people on the edge, and those people don't tend to get introspective about their circumstances or lots in life the way some other characters do. It's really about the world that exists that puts them on the edge - the harsh, cold, crowded concrete streets awash in neon lights and dripping with stale rainwater...that juxtaposed with the cool, crystal, expansive world inside the machine where Case makes his escape.

It's the juxtaposition of these two worlds - and the man who straddles them - that makes Neuromancer such a seminal sci-fi work.

Faetryn said...

You know my blog's readers are such cultural folks when comments are in defense of Neuromancer and not a query on "botox party"! (and I thought that was such a good teaser). That's so refreshing. :)