I'm moving. After almost 4 years of living in this house - which makes it the longest stay I've had since I left my mother's house - I am heading west. Like all happy moves, it's bittersweet; it's happy-sad, as it should be. I'm scared-excited.
Why would I want to leave? I have a great situation of living with simply wonderful friends who have loved me. They are fun, inspiring, creative individuals with a grand vision. Our house has been a safe spot for people to gather, to eat and drink and watch and listen, to get to know each other, to build a community. My doctor, dry-cleaner's, dentist are all here. My mechanic! And my landlord - the most amazing landlord in the world, God bless him, I shall miss him. My house, if you've ever been here, is gorgeous.
I don't want to leave. But I want to go. There is a difference.
In small groups ministry, we have what we call multiplication. It's like cells. They multiply when they are ready. I see this as a multiplication. My roommates send me out to cultivate and build a new "group" in the new house. Granted, the situation is wonderful: I'm closer to work, rent is right, the beach is nearby, and friends are in the area. But more than anything, we are excited because we get to infiltrate the city with radical communities of faith, love and hope. Christ-likeness. Servanthood. Creativity.
It's been an incredible learning experience coming to this decision. All kinds of humbling stuff.
I'm happy-sad, scared-excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment