This past weekend I learned that ketchup originated from Chinese people in California. My friend Jeremy said his mother insisted on this and at first he was reluctant to believe her. After all, he hears this kind of thing (i.e. Chinese invented this and that) from her all the time. (I'm not surprised. I hear it all the time too.) But then she broke down the etymology of the word ketchup. Phonetically ketchup is a Chinese word for "vegetable sauce/reduction" -- or something like that. Hey, that convinced me.
One more thing the Chinese can add to their long list of inventions. They claimed gun powder, paper,...
And then today, ... noodles. Nice.
In case it ever comes up - you can dazzle the dinner party with this piece of trivia.
You're welcome.
4 comments:
wow..you've been bloghappy lately cal!
who's to say those noodles weren't left there by the guy who ate his dinner there the other day??! pretty interesting article...the position of those bones looked a little odd.
just when i was losing steam during my work lunch outings, Cal comes to the rescue with this cool conversation piece!
Neat little random fact, Cal. I will try to remember to bring this up at lunch...if someone grabs for the ketchup. ^__~
When I was going up I always would hear the Danish invented this and that...
Post a Comment