Oct 11, 2005

Storm

A friend came by last night and shared about some events and emotions that have surrounded him in the last few months and left him sad, down-trodden, depressed. I didn't see it coming. He told me that he articulates and processes so well that he fools people into thinking he is fine. Then he realizes he is fooling himself. It's one thing to experience such grief and stress and another to conclude that one is not equipped to handle it on his own. I think that's what humility looks like in the day to day.

One thing that stood out to me. He said he never felt alone. Depressed, sad, tired, and upset, surely, but not alone. Now, he wants to just be with friends and bask in their support. I can't help but contrast him with another friend who is also in need of healing -- but failed to see this important fact.

Humility again. The ability to say I'm in need, I can't do it alone, please help. Sounds needy but it really isn't. Simple but difficult. Yet it's the only place you can understand love -- when you are ready to receive it. No wonder Jesus values it so much. (Remember his story about the tax collector (think dirty local politician, traitor, everything just bad/annoying) vs. the pharisee (think religious leader)? How about go here).

We also talked about how different he will look after the storm passes. We hope so. A camel cannot possibly look like it did after passing through the eye of the needle. The clay should look more like a jar, or a sculpture, or a pot.

At the end of the day, there's Hope beaming, promising, extending a hand.

No comments: