Dec 12, 2006

Gems - Updated

UPDATED!!! Scroll down...

Master and Commander
I heard it praised as one of the best movies of 2003 but at the time had little interest in watching a movie about a bunch of men on a British ship in 1800's. Sounds like too much testosterone to me. But Katie had the DVD from work and wanted to watch it. And it's great! Really great. Half the time I'm confused - the setting was foreign to me - yet I was hooked on the characters. Peter Weir is a skillful director: the soundtrack, the effects, and the acting - all make for an intelligent and exciting ride. It is a great study on leadership and duty. What does it take? Paul Bettany is amazing; the younger actors are impressive as well.

White Shoes and the Couples Company
Today on KCRW Nic said: "and that was White Shoes and the Couples Company, a band from Jakarta, Indonesia..." what what what?! I IMed Sarah; she said, Oh yeah, I know them. (Yea, she's cool like that). I googled them, found them on myspace, sampled more music - and now I say, go check 'em out people! They are a jazzy-pop, whimsical, quirky group from my hometown. If you like Pizzicato Five then you might like 'em.

Jeremy Enigk
Got a mix CD from a friend last night with a bunch of JE's songs. I thought, oh yeah, the guy from Sunny Day Real Estate - heard he's got great solo stuff, too. Then today on NPR his song is song of the day. Sometimes the universe aligns like that. Like Sarah aptly said, his specialty is making songs so beautiful that you want to cry. And me, I sure love a good cry.

Bacon-wrapped dates
Again, the universe sometimes aligns. I had a really fun outing with co-workers to Primitivo, a wine/tapas bar in Venice (great place!) and one of our favorite dishes there was bacon-wrapped dates. My co-worker G and I were still thinking about that particular order the next day - when I went to S and S's place for dinner and S1 said: And S2 has like a cabinet full of dates! What are you doing with 'em? S2: mmmmmmmm.... making bacon-wrapped dates!!

The Orpheum
Simply one of the most beautiful venues in Los Angeles. We have a lot of wonderful places to see live performances in this town; yet the Orpheum is absolutely breathtaking. You can read about and look at pictures but if you get a chance to go - please do. You'll be struck by the elegance and character of the place. I wish I could just sit there and marvel at the details but Damien Rice and band was on stage. :)

How the world will end
I've linked to this before but years later this still cracks me up like no other. Not for the faint-hearted. Make sure you have sound. ROUND!!

NEW!! Ray LaMontagne
Here's your chance to hear what the fuss is all about. Volume! Quiet music should be played loud. (That's Over-the-Rhine-ism for ya).

No comments: