May 10, 2008

U2 3D

U2 is my favorite band but I can't listen to them on CD/iPod anymore. When I really miss them I would play a track or two, or the whole of "Achtung Baby." But very rarely. Because CD's just cannot convey how good they are. They are 100x better in an arena. And yes, okay, because I'm spoiled for having seen them multiple times live. Oh, the good ol' days.

Today I made a 1hr35min trek to (omg) zone 2 to the only one theatre in the Melbourne area that still plays U2 3D. And I'm glad I did. I've forgotten how much good U2 can do for my soul, and I don't say that flippantly. Granted, it's more than their music and performance that keeps me coming back. I admire them as a group of people and organization. But - back to U2 3D:

The film is quite a technical feat - and it shows. I don't know the first thing about 3D technology but I applaud how subtly the production leverages the technology. It doesn't scream 3D, if you know what I mean. You might be disappointed because of it, and that's okay, but I think it shows incredible restraint not to exploit the technology and instead respect the whole.

The sound mixing is so incredible that I almost want to attribute the 3D feel to the sound. The recording and mixing of the audience was superb. It might just fool you to think you are there in Buenos Aires or Melbourne or wherever else they shot it. If you've been to a U2 show you know that uplifting, intoxicating atmosphere that is the audience singing in unison with Bono conducting.

So I recommend it.

I also recommend:
  • U2 at the end of the world by Bill Flanagan. Bill went on the Zoo Tour with the band and wrote about it and more. Highly entertaining read and a beautiful portrait of the band. I learned that U2 almost broke up! Thank the good Lord they didn't (I don't say this flippantly either).
  • U2 live. One of those things you gotta do before you die. Promise.

No comments: