Mar 2, 2009

Lent: God's heart and food allergies

Wow, my journey with Lent is very very similar to this writer's. Thanks Sandra for the link.

Like the writer, I also had prayed more than I had ever done the year I gave up coffee. I believe that was the year I started greeting God in the morning, because that would be the second thought. First thought: coffeeeeeeeee..... (then second thought: oh, I gave it up for Lent. Hi, God). Like the writer, I was also skeptical at first at the 'tradition' and religiosity with which the season is laced. But praying and fasting are not just religious traditions, they are spiritual disciplines, as in, they actually do bring you closer to God. And when you engage in a spiritual discipline, you shake the spiritual realm, you challenge the status quo, and you learn more about God's heart. I don't balk at 'tradition' as much anymore because that is what the evil one would want me to do: fool me into thinking I am better/stronger/more spiritual than said tradition.

The writer also alerts me to another side benefit to giving up certain foods for lent: discovering allergies. My eczema has started to act up recently, and I wonder if it is food-related or just environment. I have theories; it's time to test them.

Onward.

No comments: