I never thought that depression would cause me to fear fiction books, but that's what happened. I first became aware of this when my friend said that during his depression, he couldn't bring himself to read anything new. His remark startled me since this friend is the most voracious reader I know. But that's him, I thought. Well, as it turns out, I have that disease also. I haven't read any new fiction work - I tried - Chabon's Yiddish Policemen Union - but could not get past the third chapter. I stopped and picked up To Kill A Mockingbird instead.
I think this is why my friend and I couldn't handle a new work of fiction: the thought of an unknown storyline doesn't excite us like it used to; rather, the possibility of difficult scenes, or a heartbreaking ending, or a surprise, just creates an apprehension. In short, they scare us a little. We return to old favorites, whether lighthearted or sad, at least we know what happens and how it ends. They comfort and console us, kind of like an old friend has just come by to sit next to you to listen, hug, make you laugh, and sit some more.
Somehow this malady comes to mind as I wait for Easter Sunday. It seems like the right time to take a bold step and read something new. Easter commemorates the resurrection of Jesus Christ, which happened two thousand years ago because God said, I'm doing something new and remarkable. Unbelievable and outrageous. And you won't believe just how good because you ain't seen anything like it.
There's nothing wrong with old favorites, but this past year I have not expected anything new to be anything good, when really, why shouldn't they be?
Suggestions for new (at least new to me) written works of fiction, you should definitely send my way.
1 comment:
The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. Light-hearted, bookish, and by and large just fun...but I won't know what chords it'll strike necessarily with you. Most of the stuff we carry in the warehouse (literature) is depressing...wish I could send you something from there, but...
Post a Comment