Jan 20, 2005

Ibu

I really do have the coolest mother in the world. I know what you're thinking. Such a bold claim demands in-depth elaboration, doesn't it? I'll try. If you don't agree with me by the end of this, well, I have a feeling it's due to my inability to convey how cool she actually is.

My mom only has a high school diploma, but speaks 3 languages fluently and about 2 more conversationally.

She raised 3 children (all under the age of 10) after her husband died when she was barely 30. I have an awesome, tight family on both sides who love and care for us in more ways than I can count. My brothers and I were raised by the whole village, indeed.

She is a great baker. I have a theory that great bakers have a common trait: patience.

She is beautiful. Ask anyone who's met her. Beyond her physical beauty- that she definitely has - she just glows. Her sincerity shows in the way she asks questions, smiles, listens, pats your back or arm, or kisses your cheek. Don't get me wrong, the woman can silence my whining and complaining just by looking at me. Like, THAT way, you know? She has power.


She talks to me. Ever since I could remember, she takes an interest in what I think, do, don't do.

She is caring. Asks about my friends all the time. And is sincere about it, too, because she remembers things about them. My friends who visit my hometown would always look her up. Always. Then they'd just end up having coffee and chatting, at the back terrace or a coffee shop, without me. : (

She is a servant. Her community, her church, her family - all is covered. My grandparents had the right dreams when they named her after one (a little known Bible character).

She lets me do stuff. And quit. And take it up again. Piano. Taekwondo. Drawing. Swimming. Dancing. Singing. Piano. Taekwondo. Okay, maybe I wish she had been more stern with me - then maybe I'd actually be good at one or two of those.

She is a food-fiend. Eats all kinds of things from all places. She's the go-to person for restaurant referrals. But she is best when it comes to the hole-in-the-walls or the street side vendors. Yum.

Most of all, she floors me with her faith. I asked her once what made her trust me. I mean, she did let me leave home when I was but 15 years old, to another country, and then at 17, to yet another country farther away. She said simply, "Because God told me I could trust Him. He will take care of you beyond what I can do. So I trusted Him."


How do you like that?

Happy Birthday, Mami..

1 comment:

Cynth said...

Hey, that's statement of your mom being the coolest mom in the world was made ages ago. By us. By your friends who knew you since we were out of our diapers! She is. They say copycats show the highest form of flattery, and I want to be one when it comes to your mom.

Tried to call her before, but she's out...