I was driving to go to Sindy's on Saturday for the BBQ when I had to merge from 2 lanes to 1. I'm letting the guy in front of me go (he was to my left and merging onto my lane) when I heard the guy behind me honk angrily. Yep, you know it; it's not a "yo, be careful" honk or "I'm right behind you" honk it was an angry honk. Apparently I pissed him off but I had no idea how, after all, I was driving according to the traffic flow. So after the merge, I threw up my arms in the air in slight exasperation, like, "What did I do?!", looked in my mirror to catch this guy motioning and talking to me like I just ran over his cat! I thought, whatever, never mind, no one got hurt, no one's car got scratched, so I waved. (On the road I try to wave and smile to look like I'm apologizing regardless because that seems to quelch the anger (including my own)). The lane split back into 2 and the guy sped up, got up to my left, and flashed an "L" with his fingers at me! For a second I was upset! Then I heard myself tell the story to Sindy and Colin and we just laughed at the incredible sadness of it all... maybe he's stuck in high school.
The rest of the long weekend was great. It was a very warm weekend even for the beach cities of SoCal. I hit the beach, hung out w/ friends, went to a few BBQs, assembled a few wedding invitations, watched some football. Yesterday we went for a short (underline short) hike, breakfasted at my fave place in Venice, watched the Germany v. Italy game (let's not talk about it, shall we? Go Portugal!), went to the guys' house for a BBQ where Sorge perfected the mojito recipe, they played two rounds of bocce, and we all ate amazing food non-stop. And here's the remarkable thing: I felt like I belonged - no longer a stranger, no longer wandering - I was at home, even if it was just for a day. Or just maybe I had too much sun and mojitos.
Hope your July 4th was fun and peaceful.
2 comments:
Mmm...mojito...
Yeah, well next time we can go for a longer hike.
Post a Comment