Aug 10, 2006

Daily Devotional

Religious people of the world - even the agnostic and the atheist ones - do their meditation and devotion. Whether that's praying before meals, praying 5 times a day, meditating, or reading the newspaper in the morning with our coffee in hand, consult the horoscope, we all do it. You may not believe in a God or subscribe to any organized religion but you're religious about certain things. I call that your devotional - you rely on it daily to give you information, guidance, inspiration, entertainment, etc.

Makes me think about how I spend my time, who do I consult regularly in my daily devotions. Yes, I read the Bible, the NYTimes, BBC News, MySpace, my friends' blogs - so in a way, they constitute my daily devotional. What you put in is what comes out.

Today though, I went to a website which I used to frequent daily. I don't know why I stopped but I'm adding it back in. Its wisdom rivals the prophets, journalists, thinkers, leaders, philosophers, and artists. I mean, think about Lewis, Chesterton, Gandhi, MLK Jr., Shakespeare, Julian of Norwich, Santayana, Aristotle! Yep, on par with those people. The depth of insight! the articulation of the idea! the artistry! Today's entry for instance really convicted me.

Thank you God for Charles Schulz.

No comments: