Aug 1, 2006

Frozen grapes etc.

Folks, I have a problem. It's called frozen grapes. My roommates are no help - they perpetuate the condition. Sigh. We can't seem to stop buying grapes and sticking them in the freezer. I blame Lena my former roommate for this.

Anyway, here's a snippet from Hollywoodland:
  • Little Miss Sunshine - Irresistible, charming, quirky, funny, heart-warming, unpredictable. You can read about the movie elsewhere so I will just say, I laughed, cried, then laughedcried. Loved the cast (including the VW van who stole the show IMHO) and the music. It's definitely something to own when the DVD comes out.
  • Miami Vice - Slightly disappointing, considering how much I enjoyed other M. Mann movies. As a reviewer noted, the movie is more concerned with Sonny and Tubbs' love lives (if you call them that) than with their relationship with each other, which was the strength of the franchise to begin with. It's not a bad movie. Just.. not great.
  • Saw trailers for: Babel and the Science of Sleep - both starring Gael Garcia Bernal. ;) Evil-lyn - let's go...
  • Another noteworthy trailer: The Namesake - directed by Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding) from a novel by Jhumpa Lahiri, whose short stories I just finished reading. Doncha love it when the universe just aligns like that? I surely will be going to this movie.

Quick shout-out: Happy birthday Cynth of CJDaily. Cynth is soon to become a published author in Indonesia - not sure of the title but the theme is much like "Sex & the City"? Sure hope I don't come into the book often but seeing as my life is neither sexy nor in Jakarta I'm probably safe :)

3 comments:

evil-lyn said...

i'm so there for gael...

i dunno how they would make the namesake into a movie, but i'd see it just 'cuz i love jhumpa lahiri...so i'm there for that one, too.

TheNeedyMother said...

How was the Colin Farrell? I can't go because he's in it doing whatever with Gong Li. Poor woman.

Faetryn said...

ev: i need to read that book. can i borrow?

mish: the movie was over-concerned w/ colin and whatever he's doing w/ gong li. poor indeed. they made the best out of it tho. eer.. they danced a lot. good dancing.